Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Anniversary of the beginning of World War I

On July 28th, 1914 the Archduke Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary and his wife were assassinated. Because of this event Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, and World War I began. To some of us World I War seems so distant and remote. Very few veterans from that conflict are still alive and the story of the war is not one that most people are familiar with. The war did have a huge impact on the world however. Not only was it the first of the 'modern' wars but it also was the reason why World War II began.

Through the Looking Glass has a collection of reviews about WWI books that you might like a to take a look at on the World War I feature page. The books reviewed suit a number of age ranges - from picture books to novels. One in particular, Hattie Big Sky, stands out. This Newbery Honor award winning title explores the ways in which one young woman is touched by the clouds of war. Though she lives in Montana in distant America, far from the battle grounds in France and Belgium, Hattie still learns how terrible war is and how conflict can, at times, bring out the worst, and the best, in people.


In Where Poppies Grow: A World War I Companion, by Linda Granfield, the author tells the story of World War I with great skill, capturing the initial innocence of the soldiers and the rude awakening that they got when they finally found themselves in battle.

Do take a look at this feature, and if you know of more World War I books for children that you have read and liked, tell me about them.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share