Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, September 8, 2008

The Roald Dahl "Funny" Prize shortlist is announced

Booktrust, along with Britain's Children’s Laureate Michael Rosen, have announced that they are going to sponsor a new prize in children's literature. This prize, the Roald Dahl Funny Prize, will have two categories. The first is the funniest book for children aged six and under, and the second is the funniest book for children aged seven to fourteen. On September 8th the shortlist for the two categories was announced. They are:


Ages Six and Under:
  • Stick Man by Julia Donaldson, illus. Axel Scheffler (Alison Green Books)

  • Elephant Wellyphant by Nick Sharratt (Alison Green Books)

  • The Great Paper Caper by Oliver Jeffers (HarperCollins Children’s Books)

  • The Witch’s Children Go to School by Ursula Jones, illus. Russell Ayto (Orchard Books)

  • There’s an Ouch in My Pouch! by Jeanne Willis, illus. Garry Parsons (Puffin Books)

  • Manfred the Baddie by John Fardell (Quercus Books)

Ages Seven to Fourteen:


  • Mr Gum and the Dancing Bear by Andy Stanton, illus. David Tazzyman (Egmont Press)

  • Paddington Here and Now by Michael Bond, illus. RW Alley (HarperCollins Children’s Books)

  • Stop in the Name of Pants! by Louise Rennison (HarperCollins Children’s Books)

  • Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce (Macmillan Children’s Books)

  • Aliens Don’t Eat Dog Food by Dinah Capparucci (Scholastic Children’s Books)

  • Urgum and the Goo Goo Bah! by Kjartan Poskitt, illus. Philip Reeve (Scholastic Children’s Books)

The judges for the prize are:

Children's book writer Micheal Rosen, Roald Dahl's granddaughter Sophie Dahl (who is a famous fashion icon and a published children's book author) comedian Dara O'Briain, children's author and illustrator Chris Riddell and children's book writer Kaye Umansky.

You can find out more about this new and exciting prize on the Booktrusted Website.

Don't forget to celebrate Roald Dahl Day on September 13th. I'll have more Dahl items for you on that day.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share