Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Golden Kite Awards

For some years now I have had the privilage of being a member of the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). This organization provides children's book writers and illustrators with priceless services and support. Every year SCBWI gives a series of awards, the Golden Kite Awards:

"The Golden Kite Awards are "given annually to recognize excellence in children’s literature, grant cash prizes of $2,500 to author and illustrator winners in four categories: Fiction, Nonfiction, Picture Book Text, and Picture Book Illustration." In addition "to the four Golden Kite Award winners, four honor book recipients will also be named by the panel of judges which consists of children’s book writers and illustrators.
Instituted in 1973, the Golden Kite Awards are the only children’s literary award judged by a jury of peers. More than 1,000 books are entered each year. Eligible books must be written or illustrated by SCBWI members, and submitted either by publishers or individuals."

This year's Golden Kite winners are:

Fiction: DOWN SAND MOUNTAIN
by Steve Watkins
Candlewick Press

Nonfiction: A LIFE IN THE WILD: GEORGE SCHALLER’S STRUGGLE TO SAVE THE LAST GREAT BEASTS
by Pamela S. Turner
Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Picture Book Text: A VISITOR FOR BEAR
by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton
Candlewick Press

Picture Book Illustration: LAST NIGHT
Illustrated and written by Hyewon Yum
Farrar, Straus and Giroux

This year's Golden Kite Honor Recipients:

Fiction: THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX
by Mary E. Pearson
Henry Holt Books for Young Readers

Nonfiction: THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE: SUPERNOVAE, DARK ENERGY, AND BLACK HOLES
by Ellen Jackson; photographed and illustrated by Nic Bishop
Houghton Mifflin

Picture Book Text: BEFORE JOHN WAS A JAZZ GIANT
by Carole Boston Weatherford, illustrated by Sean Qualls Henry Holt Books for Young Readers

Picture Book Illustration: I LOVE MY NEW TOY
Illustrated and written by Mo Willems
Hyperion

For more information take a look at the Golden Kite Award webpages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share