Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Crocodaddy Blog Book Tour - Day One

For many of us summer is just around the corner. It will soon be time for picnics, trips to the beach, and swimming parties. In Crocodaddy Kim Norman
captures the essence of a summer day, and she also celebrates the warm relationship between a father and his little son. Here is my review of the book.

Crocodaddy
Kim Norman
Illustrated by David Walker
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 6
Sterling, 2009, 1402744609
It is a warm summer day and a little boy and his daddy go down to the pond for a swim. At the pond there is a mossy rock, little minnows, and other wonders; and it is the place where “the Crocodaddy lurks!”
With great courage, strength, and cunning, the little boy sets about hunting the great Crocodaddy. He jumps onto the Crocodaddy’s back, determined to “tame” the wily beast. It is not an easy task, for the Crocodaddy has many tricks up his sleeve. Who will win this epic battle?
To capture a special summertime adventure shared by a father and son, Kim Norman uses engaging rhymes that have a bouncy and infectious cadence. Some children might guess what the Crocodaddy is, but the suspense is tangible nevertheless. Paired with David Walker’s expressive artwork, this picture book is a joy to read and to look at.

Please visit the other sites that are participating in this tour:

A Christian Worldview of Fiction, A Mom Speaks, A Patchwork of Books, All About Children’s Books, Becky’s Book Reviews, Booking Mama,Cafe of Dreams, Dolce Bellezza, Elizabeth O. Dulemba, Fireside Musings, KidzBookBuzz.com, Looking Glass Reviews, Maw Books Blog, Never Jam Today, Olive Tree, Our Big Earth, Reading is My Superpower, SMS Book Reviews, The 160 Acrewoods, Through a Child’s Eyes

No comments:

Bookmark and Share