Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

A review of In 1776

As a follow up to my last blog entry, I have a review for you of In 1776. This splendid book uses very simple yet rich language to tell the story of what took place in America in 1776. Children who want to better understand what the Fourth of July is all about will find that this title will answer many of their questions.

In 1776
Jean Marzollo
Illustrated by Steve Bjorkman
Non Fiction picture book
Ages 7 to 9
Scholastic, 1994, 0-545-11073-4
In 1775 America was under British rule. It was an uneasy time because the colonists were angry that “they had no say” in their own government. The king of England insisted that the colonists had to pay more taxes and the colonist said “No!” Some even went so far as to say, “It’s time for you to go.” And so, in Lexington and Concord, fighting broke out between the English and the colonists.
Then in 1776, the colonists decided that they needed to make their position clear. Their leaders met in Philadelphia to discuss the problem. A committee of men then worked together to write a document that would clarify what the colonists wanted. This document came to called the Declaration of Independence.
In this excellent title, Jean Marzallo uses rhyming stanzas to help children understand what took place in 1776. They will come to appreciate why and how the events that took place at that time still have an impact on us today. An excellent introduction discusses the fact that the “struggle” for democracy is ongoing, and it is something that we can all work for.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share