Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Remember the ladies!

Eighty-nine years ago today the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified giving American women the vote. It was a long battle for women to get the vote, and the women who began the fight in 1848 at Seneca Falls, NY did not get to see the fruits of their labors. It was their daughters and granddaughters who were finally able to cast their votes in national elections. The Ninteenth Amendment came into law on on August 26th, 1848, which is now celebrated as Women's Equality Day.
Over the years, many people have written wonderful fictional and non fictional books about the women's rights movement. You can see my reviews of some of these titles on the TTLG Women's Right Movement feature page. For younger readers I would highly recommend Mama went to jail for the vote by Kathleen Karr. Here is my review of this title:


Mama Went to Jail for the Vote
Kathleen Karr
Illustrated by Malene Laugesen
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 9
Hyperion, 2005, 078680593-5
"Women were meant to be an ornament to man, and to comfort him after his labours." This is what Susan Elizabeth's Papa thinks. Her mother however has very different ideas, thinking that "woman are in chains" and that it is the duty of every enlightened woman to go out and battle for the rights of all women. In short Susan Elizabeth's mother is a suffragist and every day that she can she joins other women demonstrating against the oppression of women.
Of course for Susan Elizabeth this is all hard to understand until her mother explains to her how women in America have no say in how their country is run. Susan Elizabeth starts to get interested in her mother's cause and wants to help and so she does, in her own small way. When Susan Elizabeth's mother spends months picketing outside the White House in all weathers, Susan Elizabeth begins to think that President Wilson needs new glasses for he does not seem to see the women and their signs.
Then, one dreadful day Susan Elizabeth's mother is arrested and Susan Elizabeth's life gets infinitely more confusing. Being a plucky and determined young lady Susan Elizabeth takes matters into her own hands. Isn't she after all one of the soldiers in her "Mama's Army?"
The "war" that Susan Elizabeth and her mother take on is superbly portrayed in this picture book which captures the essence of the struggle that the women's rights "soldiers" faced. An interesting "Historical Note" in the back of the book provides further information about the women's rights movement.


You can read a brief history of the women's rights movement here.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share