Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

One more Christmas Book

Christmas is only a few days away, and I just I would throw one more book idea at you before it is too late. The book below is just a delight to look at, and I am sure readers of all ages and their families will enjoy it.

The Twelve days of Christmas
Gennady Spirin
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 8
Marshall Cavendish, 2009, 0761455515
   For many people Christmas would not be Christmas without Christmas carols. They love the beauty of “Silent Night,” the joy of “Jingle Bells,” and the exuberance of “We wish you a merry Christmas.” Then there is “The twelve days of Christmas,” a song that is packed with images, and that has been sung during the holiday season for several hundred years.
   For this picture book Gennedy Spirin has created stunningly rich and beautifully detailed illustrations showing “a partridge in a pear tree,” “seven swans-a-swimming,” and all the other gifts that someone gives their true love for the twelve days of Christmas – which last from Christmas Day to Epiphany on January 6th. This is a title that families will be able to share during the holidays for years to come.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share