Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Earth Friendly toys

A few weeks ago I was thumbing through a magazine when I saw an article about a line of toys that are being made by Mary Meyer, a company in Vermont. The line is called Earthmates and there are three collections: Fuzz that Wuzz, Bamboo, and Organics. I contacted the people at Mary Meyer and asked them so send me some information about the toys, which they did. In fact they were kind enough to send me a sample animal from the Fuzz that Wuzz collection, and he is sitting on my desk as I write this blog post. Here is some information about the Earthmates toys.

Fuzz that Wuzz is a collection of cuddly companions made from plastic bottles. The outer fabric and the stuffing are both high-quality polyester fiber made from 100% recycled plastic bottles. These toys feel as good as they look while helping to reduce waste. Each toy keeps 10 bottles out of landfills. The companions include an assortment of beloved friends: puppies, dogs, hounds, bunnies, bears, cats, moose, elephants, lions, penguins, turtles and more. All are designed to be loveable, pleasing toys that minimize waste as they are made from recycled products.

 According to Kevin Meyer, president of Mary Meyer, “Our intention is to do our part to set a course for a more sustainable future that minimizes waste, recycles and maximizes the uses of recycled materials. There is a long way to go but we are proud of what we have done with the Fuzz that Wuzz and all the EarthMates collection.” The Fuzz that Wuzz toys include dogs, a cat, a cow, teddy bears, a turtle, a horse, a rabbit, a monkey (which is what I have), an elephant, and a lion. There is also a six piece collection of Fuzz that Wuzz minis.

Landfill Facts: Two million plastic bottles are used in the United States every ten minutes and 51 billion go into landfills annually. It will take 700 years before plastic bottles in landfills start to decompose. Less than 30percent of the plastic bottles in the United States are actually recycled. 

Bamboo is a collection of soft, easy-to-clean, sophisticated baby toys. These toys feature a gentle color pallet, and baby friendly designs. The toys are made of 80% bamboo and 20% polyester creating a soft, natural toy with all the durability and washability needed to survive as a child’s companion. In this collection there are three blanket animals, rattles and "Squeakums," and a variety of stuffed animals that include birds, a mouse, a horse, and a rabbit.

Organics use only 100% certified organic cotton fabrics and stuffing to produce the softest, safest, most huggable toys. They are all made without the use of toxins, harmful pesticides, chemicals or dyes.  All colorants are tested to meet and exceed the most stringent global safety standards. Held to the highest standards and made from the highest quality, all natural, earth-friendly materials, these toys will delight children while helping to protect and preserve our environment. This line also includes rattles, blanket toys, and stuffed animals. 

You can find out more about these toys and purchase them at www.marymeyer.com. I promise you that the child (or children) in your life will love to receive any of these toys. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share