Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Poetry Friday - A review of Today at the Blue-bird Cafe

For this Poetry Friday I have a review of a book that lifts the spirits, tickles the funny bone, and that charms the eye.


Illustrated by Joan Rankin
Poetry
For ages 5 to 8
Simon and Schuster, 2007, 0-689-87153-8
   Today the Bluebird Café is open for all-you-can-eat business. If you are a feathery person, prepare yourself for delicious treats such as “berries and snails and a bluebottle fly.” What a delightful window into the world of birds we see here. What else can we see as we look up into the sky, among the flowers, on the pond, and in the trees?
   There is the cardinal sitting on a wooden post with his brilliant red feathers that are “valentineSantaClaustotallyred.” How brilliant he looks so bright and bold.
   Then there is the hummingbird who “flaps his teeny wings / like a maniac.” How much the child wishes that this busy little creature would come back to the garden.
   Another child feels that the cockatoo is like a wedding cake, “with frosting swoops and coconut flakes.” How grand it looks with its soft feathers, its black beak, and its crest, that “sugar-coated curlicue.”
   This delightful collection of poems about birds will charm, amuse, and delight bird lovers of all ages. Deborah’s unique word pictures are perfectly complimented by Joan Rankin’s luminous and wonderfully evocative watercolor illustrations.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share