Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Five days of Seasonal and Holiday book giveaways - Day One

In many states in the U.S. and in many countries in Europe snow has been falling for days. Roads have gone unplowed, schools have closed, people have not been able to go to work, and errands have gone undone. Though many adults have no doubt been annoyed by this state of affairs, many children have been delighted by all the snow days they are having.

For this first day of the five days of seasonal and holiday book giveaways, I have a title about one person's hopes that tomorrow will indeed be a snow day. If you would like to enter this giveaway, send me an email with your name and snail mail address. Good luck!


Lester L. Laminack
Illustrated by Adam Gustavson
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 7
Peachtree Publishers, 2007, 1-56145-418-4
   They have heard the weatherman mention that there might be snow in the forecast. Snow! Of course they want snow. Lots of it so that the school buses won’t be able to move, and so that the teachers won’t be able to get to work. They want a snow day.
   They want a day with no alarms going off. They want a day when they can snuggle together under a blanket on the sofa and “sip hot chocolate from giant snowman mugs.” They want so much snow that they cannot even open the door and have to climb out the window to get outside.
  Ah yes outside! Outside they will build a snow fort four feet tall that has
 “a zillion snowballs inside.”  They will go sledding and they will build a snowman. But now they have to go to be bed to get ready for that snow day.
   Children who have eagerly hoped and prayed for a snow day will thoroughly appreciate this book. Grownups who have watched the weatherman hoping that they will get to have a snow day will laugh out loud when they come to the last couple of pages, and when they discover who the main narrator in the story is. Cleverly crafted and beautifully illustrated, this is a seasonal picture book that captures the hopes and magic of snow days for people of all ages.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share