Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Picture book Monday - A review of When a dragon moves in


What could be better than a picture book about a dragon? A picture book about a dragon who lives on a beach of course! At least I think so, because I am a fan of dragons, and I love spending time at the beach building sandcastles, exploring tide pools, and dozing under an umbrella. I am therefore delighted to bring you this dragony beachy book. I have a feeling that today' picture book will inspire dragon lovers to get busy building sandcastles as fast as they can. Read on to find out why.

When a Dragon Moves In
Jodi Moore
Illustrated by Howard McWilliam
Picture Book
For ages 6 to 8
Flashlight Press, 2011, 978-0-979974-67-0
   You may not know this, but if you build a sandcastle (a perfect one) at the beach, there is a good chance that a dragon will move in. Having a dragon in residence is a fantastic thing, because dragons are great companions and playmates. If you have a dragon living in your sandcastle, you will have someone to swim with, someone who will scare off the bullies, and a “built-in marshmallow toaster.”
   Of course, having a dragon around can present a few problems that you will need to take care of. You will have to make sure that you erase the dragon footprints, hide the dragon smoke, and you will have to find a way to feed the dragon without attracting any attention. There is a good chance that you will get blamed for some of the things that the dragon does. After all, parents and big sisters are hopeless when it comes to seeing dragons, and they will blame you when all the sandwiches are eaten, when there are strange marks on the brownies, and when people get sprayed with sand. Are you the kind of person who can cope when a dragon moves in?
   Dragon fans are going to love this clever picture book, especially when they see what happens in the end. In fact, they will love the dragon in the story so much that they might be tempted to find a sandcastle dragon of their own.
   With amusing illustrations and a great story, this is a wonderful picture book to share with someone who is has a soft spot for dragons.

1 comment:

Jodi Moore said...

Thank you so much for this lovely review of WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN! *Tigger dances* May your summer be filled with fun, sunshine and perfect sandcastles! Dragon love & many hugs, Jodi Moore :)

Bookmark and Share