Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Poetry Friday - A review of Little Dog and Duncan

Not long ago my daughter had a friend come to stay for a while, and the girls discovered that even though they are the best of friends, living with someone new can be challenging. Feathers got ruffled on occasions, which meant that feelings got hurt and compromises had to be made.

Today's poetry title is about a little dog who has a friend come to stay, and who discovers that it is not always easy to get used to having a house guest.

Kristine O’Connell George
Illustrated by June Otani
Poetry Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Clarion, 2002, 0-618-11758-X
   Little Dog is excited because a very big dog, Duncan, has come to visit. In fact, Duncan will be spending the night at Little Dog’s house. When Duncan starts to feel homesick, Little Dog “sits close / helping Duncan mope,” which is what friends do for friends.
   Having such a big guest around presents some challenges, and Little Dog and her little girl have to work hard to make sure that Duncan doesn’t get into trouble. Sometimes Little Dog feels a little overwhelmed and does not want to share her toys or her little girl with the guest. She makes it clear that some things are “Mine!” Though the two dogs are very different in many ways, in others they are just the same. They both love mud, they both beg for treats, and they both want to share the little girl’s bed, which they do!
   Told using a collection of poems, this delightful story about Little Dog, her person, and her friend Duncan is a treat for people who love dogs. Readers will laugh when they see how the two dogs interact, and when they see how problems are overcome. Sharing your space with a houseguest isn’t always easy, but if you have a big heart and some patience you can make it work.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share