Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Picture Book Monday - A Review of The Invisible Boy

Most of us have experienced times when we feel as if we are invisible, when the people around us don't seem to realize that we are even there. The alone and cut-off-from-the-world feeling is horrible. In this picture book the author looks at one little boy who is made to feel invisible, and who still manages to be generous to someone else.

The Invisible BoyThe invisible Boy
Trudy Ludwig
Illustrated by Patrice Barton
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Random House, 2013, 978-1-582-46450-3
Brian is not really an invisible boy but he is so quiet and makes so little fuss in class, that it is almost as if he really is invisible. Mrs. Carlotti has her hands full dealing with Nathan, who shouts all the time, and Sophie, “who whines and complains” whenever she doesn’t get what she wants. Somehow Brian never gets picked when the children play kickball, and when one of the children has a birthday party, Brian isn’t invited.
   Then one day a new boy called Justin joins Brian’s class. At lunch Justin eats something called bulgogi with chopsticks and when he offers some to the other children they make fun of him and his strange Korean food. Brian wonders which is worse; being laughed at or feeling invisible.
  The next morning Justin finds a note waiting for him in his cubby. The note is from Brian and in it Brian says that he thinks Justin’s bulgogi “looked good.” One the note Brian even drew a little picture of himself eating bulgogi with chopsticks.
   In this wonderful picture book Trudy Ludwig shows young readers how painful it is to be the child who is always left out of everything. Her story is thoughtfully sensitive and she explores the idea that being kind to one another is simple to do, taking little effort, and yet it makes such a difference to someone who feels alone and lonely.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share