Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Picture Book Monday with a review of Duck and Goose Honk! Quack! Boo!

As I write this post my seventeen year old daughter is making a witch's broom to go with her Halloween costume. She is going to be Kiki, the character from the film, Kiki's Delivery Service. Halloween was not  celebrated in the country that I grew up in, so I did not get to dress up when I was a child. After I moved to the U.S. when I was twenty-one I started participating in Halloween festivities and it has been so much fun.

Since Halloween is tomorrow, today I am offering you a festive picture book title to read. In the story  two little birds have an adventure that is funny, with just a little touch of Halloween spookiness to keep young readers guessing and wondering. 

Duck and Goose Honk! Quack! Boo!Duck and Goose Honk! Quack! Boo!
Tad Hills
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House, 2017, 978-1-5247-0175-8
Tomorrow is Halloween and Duck is curious to know what Goose is going “to be” on the festive day. Goose explains that he is going to be himself as usual, which is when Duck explains that Halloween is the one day when you should not be yourself.
   Thistle then appears on the scene and she tells her friends that her Halloween costume is a secret. They will have to wait until the next day to see what she is going to dress up as. As she leaves, Thistle tells Duck and Goose to “beware the swamp monster,” a comment which puzzles them greatly. It also makes both Duck and Goose feel decidedly worried. Neither of them likes monsters.
   The next day Duck, dressed up as a ghost, and Goose, dressed up as a super hero, go trick-or-treating together in the forest. They both hope that they are not going to see a swamp monster on this special night and are very relieved when all they see are other young animals trick-or-treating.
   All goes well until the moment when an owl dressed up as a daisy says that a swamp monster is looking for Duck and Goose. The friends are horrified. What are they going to do?
   Children are going to love this charming little Halloween tale, which features Tad Hills’ wonderful little bird characters.


No comments:

Bookmark and Share