Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Tale of Despereaux and Blue Bloods Sweepstakes, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid Contest

If you are a teacher or a librarian you might want to enter this sweepstake event. One school and one library will be awarded a fantastic prize - an advanced screening of the new film, The Tale of Despereaux. Four runners up will win a Tale of Despereaux gift basket containing, among other things:

A complete set of eight movie tie-in titles
A selection of five award-winning Kate DiCamillo books in hardcover
A $50 movie theater gift certificate to see The Tale of Despereaux in theaters
One copy of The Tale of Despereaux video game (for PC)
One Despereaux plush

To enter the sweepstakes visit the sweepstakes website.

And for those of you who are fond of vampire stories take a look at the Blue Bloods Sweepstakes. Children between the ages of 11 and 16 can enter, and all entries must be received by December 31st. The winner will get to have lunch with Melissa de la Cruz, the author of the series, and will receive a $1000 shopping spree.

To enter this sweepstakes go to the Blue Bloods website.


Now, I have a confession to make. I have not yet read or reviewed any of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I know, this is a terrible state of affairs, but I am going to rectify it in the next couple of days by reading the first book in the series. For all of you Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans there is a cartoon contest that you need to know about. Anyone between the ages of 6 and 16 can enter, and the contest is open until January 31st 2009. Plenty of time to create a comic story. And the prizes are scrummy too:
1 Grand Prize Winner Receives:
One visit by Jeff Kinney to the winner’s school.
One framed “Wimpify Your Family” original comic by Jeff Kinney.
One signed copy of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Do-It-Yourself Book” by Jeff Kinney.
30 Runners Up Receive:
A signed copy of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book”
by Jeff Kinney, to be mailed to the winners.

To find out more about this contest visit the Diary of a Wimpy Kid website and click on the Contest link in the top right hand corner of the page.

1 comment:

Ceska said...

My daughter is a huge Diary of a Wimpy Kid fan, so when she found out that there was a DIY book, she couldn't wait to get one! She received this for her birthday, and has been writing in it ever since! It's filled with plenty of parts that kids can fill in themselves, in addition to the usual comics-type pictures and such. Overall, very pleased with this book, and my daughter is as well! Would make a great gift for any Diary of a Wimpy Kid fan. :)

Bookmark and Share