Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, June 18, 2010

A book announcement from author Richard Michelson

 A new release from Richard Michelson




Busing Brewster


by Richard Michelson 


with pictures by R.G. Roth

Dear Friends,
My latest book, Busing Brewster (Knopf, 2010) has just been published! I hope you'll consider ordering a copy from your local bookseller, or online. Autographed copies are available at the gallery or on our website.



BREWSTER IS EXCITED about starting first grade... until Mama announces that he'll be attending Central-a school in the white part of town. Mama says they have art and music and a library bursting with books, but Brewster isn't so sure he'll fit in.
    Being black at a white school isn't easy, and Brewster winds up spending his first day in detention in the library. There he meets a very special person: Miss O'Grady. The librarian sees into Brewster's heart and gives him not only the gift of books but also the gift of confidence in himself.
    This powerful and tender story of desegregation busing in the 1970s introduces readers to the brave young heroes who helped to build a new world.

"Rich Michelson, has succeeded, again, in writing an engaging picture book about tough race relations with great sympathy and interest."
The Odyssey Bookshop

ALSO Congratulations to Barbara Krasner and her wonderful new Jewish KidLit book review blog. I thank Barbara for making me the inaugural author interview.
Click here to read the interview.
 
Thanks to Kate Narita for featuring Across the Alley as last month's Classroom Book of the Week. 

Finally, check out
this interview on the Roddenberry site about my book, Too Young for Yiddish and collaboration with Leonard Nimoy on the audio version of the book.
 

For updates on speaking engagements, I encourage you to check my website and friend me on Facebook.

About Richard Michelson:

Richard Michelson is a poet and children's book author. He has lectured, and read from his works in India, Eastern Europe, and throughout the United States. He represented the United States at the Bratislava Biennial of Children's Books and has written for the New York Times Book Review, Publishers Weekly, and other publications. He is the Curator of Exhibitions at The National Yiddish Book Center and owns R. Michelson Galleries in Northampton, Massachusetts.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share