Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, June 21, 2010

The first day of summer

Today is the first day of summer for us here in Oregon, and though it is not exactly hot, at least it isn't cold anymore. I have some great summer books on the TTLG website. For children who are specifically interested in the summer solstice and what it is, there is this title to read. Enjoy.


Ellen Jackson
Illustrator:  Jan Davey Ellis
Nonfiction Picture Book
For ages 7 to 10
Millbrook, 2001   ISBN: 978-0761319856
   Because the sun is so important to life on earth it was greatly venerated by the ancient peoples who lived on this planet. Often it was considered to be a god and thus on the day when the sun was at its highest point in the sky, the summer solstice, special rituals and celebrations were often held.
   Both in the Americas and in Europe circles of stone marked the passage of the sun in the sky and special spokes in the circles "pointed to the place where the sun rose on the summer solstice."
   In Europe and Great Britain people would roll burning wheels down a hill to symbolize the blazing sun sinking in the sky. There would be great feasting, dancing, and merrymaking and people would get dressed up in outlandish costumes.
Today remnants of these old traditions can still be found in some countries in Europe. In Ireland, Wales and Cornwall people still light bonfires on hill tops on Midsummer Eve and in Sweden tall poles are decorated with leaves, colored streamers and flags and placed in a central place. People then dance around the pole in celebration of the longest day of the year.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share