Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown - A Blog Book Tour

Today I have a treat for you. A review of Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown and a letter and some art from Jarret. K. Krosoczka. Here is the letter.


Hi Marya,


Thank you so much for having me on the Looking Glass blog! In the fourth installment of the Lunch Lady series, Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown, we find the gang at a summer camp that may or may not be haunted by a swamp monster. As in all the Lunch Lady books, Hector, Terrence and Dee find themselves in the middle of the action. I decided to analyze, for your readers, what decisions go behind designing the panels for a graphic-novel. I took two spreads from my newest Lunch Lady book and created a diagram that explains just exactly what I was thinking when I laid out this scene.


Enjoy!


JJK

Here are the diagrams that Jarret created for us:




I know that the text looks small here. Just click on the pictures and you can view it full size!

Here is my review:


Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown
Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Graphic Novel
Ages 7 to 10
Random House, 2010, 978-0-375-86095-9
   Summer is here and the Breakfast Club – Dee, Hector and Terrence – are off to camp for two weeks. None of the three are thrilled to find out that Milmoe the bully and his sidekick are going to camp as well. Two weeks in the middle of nowhere without electronics and with Milmoe for company; things are not looking good. Then there is the swamp monster. Apparently - according to Milmoe (who is not the most reliable of sources) - there is a swamp monster that hangs around Camp Fun Times. Dee scoffs when she hears the story, but when the monster appears on the first night around the campfire, everyone is profoundly shocked.
   The Breakfast Club are surprised to find out that Lunch Lady and her techno wiz assistant, Betty, are at the camp. Not surprisingly, Lunch Lady sets about trying to find out what the swamp monster is. Is it a real monster or is there a something shady going on at Camp Fun Times.
   This fourth book in the Lunch Lady graphic novel series is sure to give readers a laugh. With her deliciously outrageous gadgets and her trusty (and somewhat sarcastic) assistant by her side, Lunch Lady is as entertaining as ever.

The next stop on the blog book tour is www.dadlabs.com. Enjoy!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share