Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fiction Wednesday: A review of Andy Shane and the Barn Sale Mystery

A few years ago I read and reviewed a book about a little boy called Andy Shane, and ever since I have made a point of looking for other titles about Andy. The titles in this series are perfect for young readers who are ready for chapter books, and they are funny, charming, and a delight to read. 

Illustrated by Abby Carter
Fiction
For ages 5 to 7
Candlewick, 2009, 978-0-7636-3599-2
   Andy Shane and Granny Webb always celebrate their unbirthdays in the fall. After all the fall chores are complete, and when they can finally relax a little, they decide that it is “the perfect time for a party.”
   This year Andy wants to get his granny the “best present ever,” and since she uses her binoculars all the time to watch living things, Andy decides that what she needs is a case for her binoculars. The problem is, as Dolores Starbuckle points out, Andy has no money. Somehow, Andy needs to raise some money, but how?
   Later that day Andy and Dolores see an old chair sitting by the side of the road. If they clean it up they could sell the chair. Andy is inspired. He can hold a barn sale to make some money.
   Soon Andy and Dolores are going around the neighborhood collecting all kinds of things that the neighbors have no use for. It isn’t long before Granny’s barn is full of pots and pans, boxes of books, and lots of other useful things. Andy never imagines that his grand idea is going to lead to a big problem.
   In this amusing Andy Shane title, Jennifer Richard Jacobson tells a story that young readers are sure to enjoy. They will worry that Andy will not be able to get out of his predicament, and they will also hope that he will be able to give Granny the perfect gift for her unbirthday.
   This is a perfect series for young readers who just beginning to read books with short chapters. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share