Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of How to raise a dinosaur

I grew up with cats and dogs, but they were always cared for by my mother. Then, at the age of twenty-three, I got my first dog, and when I brought him home from the shelter it suddenly dawned on me that I now had a huge responsibility. My husband and I lived in a tiny apartment. How would the poor dog manage when I was gone all day long? Would he bark and disturb the neighbors? What was I thinking adopting a dog? Aghhh. 

The good news is that everything turned out fine. Thanks to informative books and helpful veterinarians, I quickly figured out what needed to be done to make sure my dog was healthy and happy, and he was my dearest companion for years. 

Today's book is all about how to take care of a pet, a special kind of pet, and if I ever feel inclined to adopt a dinosaur, I will read this book again. Carefully. 

Natasha Wing
Illustrated by Pablo Bernasconi
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Roaring Brook Press, 2010, 978-0-7624-3342-1
   Picking the pet that is just right for you is very important. I mean, if you are allergic to fur, then a cat or a dog would be a very bad idea. Thankfully, there are so many different kinds of animals to choose from. There are birds, fish, horses, mice, snakes, and dinosaurs. I beg your pardon? You didn’t know that dinosaurs make good pets? Of course they do!
   Before you go out and get a dinosaur, there are a few things that you need to know about these animals. For example, you need to make sure that your yard is big enough to accommodate one. If you have a small yard, make sure that you don’t pick a dinosaur species that is as tall as a house and as long as a soccer field. Make sure that you know what you pet is going to need before you get it. There is not point trying to feed a meat-eater some broccoli. Most important of all, you need to make sure that your dinosaur knows that it loved, otherwise….um…well….there could be dire consequences.
   Children are sure to love this picture book with its novelty features and its deliciously funny illustrations. Though the advice offered is dinocentric, there are pet care tips that here that would apply to any pet. Readers who like dinosaurs will happily explore this book over and over, lifting flaps, opening doors, and laughing at the ending.
    

No comments:

Bookmark and Share