Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, June 10, 2013

A review of a perfect title for Father's Day

This coming Sunday, on June 16th, we celebrate Father's Day. It is a day when we spoil fathers and show them how much we love and appreciate them. In honor of this day, I have reviewed a book that celebrates the many ways in which fathers show their children, through their actions, how much they are loved.

Douglas Wood
Illustrated by Jennifer A. Bell
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2013, 978-0-689-87532-8
We all know what the words “I love you” mean, but did you know that many people say “I love you” without saying these words at all? Dads are particularly good at doing this. Instead of saying the words, they show you how much you are loved. They make pancakes for you, admire your muscles, play games with you, and call you silly names like Flap-doodle or Scatterwhomp. When they help you ride your bike or read you your favorite story for the three hundredth time they are saying “I love you.”  When they answer your countless “Why?” questions without complaining they are also saying “I love you.”
            In this heartwarming, sometimes sweetly funny, book, Douglas Wood, who brought us the books A Quiet Place and Old Turtle, shows children that there are so many ways to say “I love you,” and often these expressions of love are incredibly precious. Throughout the book the simple text is paired with softly expressive illustrations of animal children sharing wonderful moments with their fathers.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share