Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Poetry Friday - A review of Fold me a Poem

I never really knew much about origami until my daughter began to make paper cranes in school when she was seven years old. Since then she has made dozens and dozens of cranes and has also created beautiful boxes, stars, and other shapes. She loves collecting the colorful origami papers, and spends hours looking through her stash, searching for just the right paper for her next project.
In today's poetry title you will meet another child who loves origami and who builds a little world with the little paper creations he makes.

Kristine O’Connell George
Illustrated by Lauren Stringer
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 6 to 9
Harcourt, 2005, 978-0-152-02501-4
Origami is the traditional Japanese art of folding paper to create little paper animals and flowers. Often people who enjoy creating Origami use special paper that can be one solid color or that is printed with many intricate and colorful designs. Though the paper creations look simple, some of them take a lot of skill to make.
   In this book the author explores the world of origami in a unique way, taking us into through the day of a little boy who enjoys making the often beautiful paper sculptures. We begin in the morning, when the little boy greets the day with an origami rooster. A buffalo with a “shaggy head” gallops across the tablecloth during breakfast. There is a camel on the table too, but something went wrong with the folding process and the poor animal is not standing up properly. The boy leans the camel against a salt shaker “sand dune” so that he can “double-check the directions.”
   In his room, the little boy’s green origami dog has three new dogs friends made with printed paper. On the book shelf a black crow origami is hiding in the shadows, and a lion and cheetah are racing across the floor to see who is fastest.
   The little boy spreads out his origami paper on a table and examines his treasure trove of colors. What will he make next?
   In this lovely book clever illustrations are paired with beautifully spare yet evocative poems to show us how simple paper animals can brighten a boy’s day, providing him with hours full of creativity and play. After reading this book young readers might be tempted to try making some origami animals and flowers themselves.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share