Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Books of Hope - Fly Away

Fly Away
There are some authors whose stories lift me up. Their tales always give me something to think about, and I always have a better perspective on life after I have finished reading one of their titles. Patricia MacLachlan is one of these authors. Today my Books of Hope title is a celebration of family, and to say that it is an uplifting story is an understatement. After I read this book I felt as if the world had become brighter and more promising. I was reminded of the fact that being able to love and care for others is a privilege.

Fly Away
Patricia MacLachlan
Fiction
For ages 7 and up
Simon and Schuster, 2014, 978-1442460089
Every year Lucy and her family drive to North Dakota to spend part of the summer with Aunt Frankie. This year in particular Lucy’s father, Boots, feels that they need to be there because the rainy season has been very wet, which means that the river will be well over its banks. Aunt Frankie will need help safeguarding her home and her possessions from the water.
    Almost everyone in Lucy’s family has something that they do well. Boots is a poet, though he set aside his pen when he decided that he loved caring for cows more than he cared to write down words. Lucy’s sister Gracie is a wonderful artist and she sings well too. Lucy herself cannot sing at all but she loves to write poetry and hopes to become a poet one day. What no one, other than Lucy knows is that little two-year-old Teddy is a superb singer. Everyone knows that Teddy does not care to speak, but they don’t know is that Teddy can carry a perfect tune. Every night Teddy comes to Lucy’s room and he sings a wordless song for her. This time together is their precious secret, and it has strengthened the already strong bond that they share.
   Two things happen on their trip as they make their way across the open country. Teddy says his first word, which is, not surprisingly, “cow.” Then it starts to rain. Heavily. Aunt Frankie tells Boots to turn around the go home, but they all agree that they should keep going because Aunt Frankie is going to need them, even if she thinks that she isn’t.
   Sure enough, in the middle of their first night at Aunt Frankie’s house, it starts to rain again and the water level rises. Lucy, Boots, Auntie Frankie and other folk work hard to move Aunt Frankie’s store of grain to higher ground, and they put sandbags in front of the porch, though everyone knows that that water is going to probably go right over them.
   In the morning the porch steps are gone and the “Water sits even with the porch floor.” The good news is that the rain has stopped. It looks as if the worst is past, but another danger lies ahead that none of them could have predicted.
   In this incredibly rich and powerful story, Patricia MacLachlan explores the incredible bonds that connect members of a family. When Aunt Frankie needs them, Lucy and her family (and their chickens) drive for hundreds of miles to help out. When Teddy needs to be comforted, Lucy, who cannot sing, finds a way to sing anyway. When Lucy’s mother needs to reassured that she is loved and needed, Teddy, the boy who does not speak, speaks.
   With a narrative that is touched with humor and poignancy, this beautifully written story will touch readers of all ages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share