Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Books of Hope - One Happy Tiger

I read and reviewed this book only yesterday and I am still thinking about it. When I first saw it I thought that it was just a counting book, but I was wrong. It is so much more. This book show us how a lonely tiger finds something in the world around him that first engages him and then gives him joy. He finds hope simply by watching, taking in, and finally connecting with the living creatures around him. The beauty and sheer joy found in much of the artwork makes me wish I could mount the pages of the book on my walls.

One happy tiger
One Happy TigerCatherine Rayner
Board Book
For ages 2 to 4
Tiger Tales, 2017, 978-1-58925-234-9
Just like humans, animals can convey a great deal in their body language. The little twitch of an ear tells us that a dog that looks as if it is asleep is actually listening. The flick of a tail tells us that a cat is on alert, ready for whatever happens next.
   In this beautiful and thoughtful board book we meet a tiger; a “sad” tiger, sitting all by itself with its back to us. We can tell that it is sad and lonely just by its pose. Thankfully, when we see the tiger next it is “thoughtful” as it watches two bugs crawling on a leaf. Then it is “watchful” as it watches three colorful birds that are perched on a branch just above the tiger’s head.
   By the time we get to the number eight in this counting book our tiger friend is “smiling” in the company of eight buzzing bees. The tiger is stretched out, relaxed and with its eyes closed. There is smile on his whiskered face.
   This gorgeous counting book tells us the story of a tiger who slowly, by degrees, comes out of its shell to interact with the wonderful world around it. In the process, the tiger sees things that delight and intrigue it, and it also acquires something that is wonderful and precious.
   With its beautifully expressive art and its loveable tiger character, this charming little book will delight both children and adults.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share