Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, July 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and eighty-two

When you have a small child in the house who is always asking "Can I...?" or "I want..." you often find yourself saying "No!" automatically because the answer usually should be no. Though my daughter is now eleven I still catch myself doing saying "No!" without thinking, and I have to ask myself, "Well, why not? What's the harm if she does?" In this picture book you will meet a trio of friends, one of whom is very young and who is always saying "I want..." 

Martin Wadell
Illustrated by Susan Varley
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Peachtree Publishers, 2009, 978-1-56145-519-5
   One bright sunny day, Old Goat and Turkey take Small Pig to Blue Lake where they find a little red rowing boat. Small Pig wants to go for a row, and even though Turkey and Old Goat announce that turkeys and goats “don’t go in boats,” the three friends are soon rowing across the lake.
   Once they are out on the lake, Small Pig announces that he wants to “fish for whales.” Turkey explains that there aren’t any whales in the lake, but Old Goat ties a piece of string to an oar so that their young friend can try his hand at fishing. Later, Small Pig decides that he wants to row. Turkey is convinced that Small pig is too small to row a boat, but Old Goat is happy to let the little pig take a turn. Grumpily Turkey goes along with all of Small Pig’s requests, little realizing that a rather wet surprise lies in his future.
   This delightfully charming picture book perfectly captures the close and giving relationship that the goat, turkey, and the little pig share. Their individual personalities come through beautifully, and children will find the story reassuring and gently amusing.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share