Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book two hundred and twelve

Many of us go through life wanting more. We want a bigger house, a better car, a boat, a pool, a new ipod. We hanker for these things, but we really don't need them. In today's picture book you will meet a family who keep adding to their home not because they want more for the sake of wanting more. Instead, they need more space because they want to provide for others. They want to give a home to people who really need it.


Joanne Taylor
Illustrated by Peter Rankin
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 7
Tundra Books, 2004, 0-88776-651-X
   It all begins very simply when John William Smith builds himself a home on the top of a hill overlooking a lovely valley. It is just a one room affair, and it is all John needs until he starts to feel lonely. It isn’t long before John has brought a young wife, Annie, to his home on the hill. Annie is a wonderful wife who takes very good care of John. Over time the couple need more room, and John gets out his tool box and begins to build; first there is a pantry, then a nursery, then some bedrooms for John’s parents who are coming to live with them. More and more people are added to this family, people down on their luck, people in need of a home and companionship, and people whom John and Annie kindly take into their hearts.
   The house gets larger and larger until John’s wife says “I think we need…another house added on to this one.”  And so the family continues to grow.
   The goodness and generosity of John and Annie is heart-warming and reassuring, for we cannot help noticing that all the relatives and friends who move in are people who are in need of help and a home. As we read this picture book, we watch the family grow and expand, we see more and rooms being added so that there is place for the new arrivals. Based on the true story of a Cape Breton family, “Making Room” is a very special book indeed.
  

No comments:

Bookmark and Share