Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and eighty-seven

Though I grew up with the family dog and cat, I always wanted a pet of my own. I cannot count the number of times I came home with a puppy, a kitten, a baby bird, a fish, a hamster, an insect, or a grass snake. I cannot count the number of times I asked "Can I keep it pleeeeeeease?" My mother always said no. Having had these experiences, I was eager to read and review today's picture book, which is about a little boy who brings home all kinds of animals, large and small.


Kevin Lewis
Illustrated by David Ercolini
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Scholastic, 2011, 978-0-439-43981-7
   Livingstone Columbus Magellan Crouse does not care for toys. In fact, he finds “any plaything from a store” to be a “great big BORE.” Livingstone would much rather spend his time outdoors exploring. He enjoys collecting insects of all kinds, but when he takes his finds home, his mother makes it clear that his little creepy crawly friends are not welcome in her house.
   Trying to be sensitive to his mother’s wishes, Livingstone goes outside and he traps a mouse using a simple paper cup, a stick, and some popcorn. At home he constructs a fabulous habitat for his mouse, and then his mother comes into his room and she sees what her son is doing. Not surprisingly, Livingstone’s mother is not happy to see the mouse in her house and she tells her son that “no mice are allowed inside this house.” Perhaps she thinks that her son will now give up bringing home unsuitable pets. Little does she realize that he has only just begun!
   Children are sure to laugh out loud as they read this funny book with its rhyming text and its delightful illustrations. They will understand why Livingstone keeps bringing animals home, and they will be delighted when they see how this adventure turns out. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share