Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, July 25, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and six

I, like so many other people, bought expensive and hard to find gifts for my daughter when she was little. Then, when the great day arrived, she was more interested in the gift's box or the ribbon than she was in the gift itself. It was very humbling to finally come to the realization that sometimes a simple gift is better than an expensive one.

Today's picture book celebrates the fact that sometimes the best gifts are the simplest of things. 

Leslie Patricelli
Picture Book
For ages 2 to 4
Candlewick Press, 2007, 978-0763628253
   Today a little boy is celebrating his birthday, and his Grandma has given him a present. Happily the little boy unwraps his present and discovers that there is a big box under all the brightly colored wrapping paper. The little boy is delighted with his box. When he stands on it he is “taller than a tree” and it is big enough that he can hide behind it. Then he discovers that there is a hole in the box. Could it be that there is something inside it?
   When the little boy manages to get the box open he discovers that it contains a loveable stuffed animal. Without wasting any time, the little boy names his toy dog Oscar and then the two of them get inside the box. The two friends have places to go and adventures to enjoy.
    Though presents are wonderful things, sometimes the boxes that they come in are almost as wonderful, or even more wonderful. This board book celebrates the fact that sometimes the best gifts of all are the simplest ones. With brightly colored minimal paintings and an endearing main character, this board book is sure to appeal to little children.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share