Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and forty-seven

I am of the opinion that we live in a society that focuses too much on things and not enough on relationships and experiences. I know one person who goes on foreign trips just to acquire more stuff. He does not see that the trip itself is the real gift because of all the amazing things he sees and experiences he has.

In today's picture book you will meet a goose and bear who go on a treasure hunt. Only one of them really appreciates that the real treasure is right in front of their noses.

Treasure
Suzanne Bloom
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Boyds Mills Press, 2007, 978-1-59078-457-0
   One day, Goose finds Bear writing on a piece of paper. There is a big X in the middle of the paper, and Goose quickly assumes that Bear must be “looking for treasure.” Exuberant Goose wants to hunt for treasure too, so she dashes off to get all the “gear” she thinks they will need.
   Soon Bear and Goose are whizzing along on Goose’s scooter, looking for the treasure. The dig for the treasure, and they dive for it, but they don’t find anything that even faintly looks like treasure. In a fit of pique, Goose rips the so-called treasure map in half. “We didn’t find any treasure at all,” she says, but Bear thinks otherwise. Bear knows that the two friends have found the best treasure of all.
   As they read this funny and sweet picture book, children will discover that treasures come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Sometimes there is a treasure right under our noses, and we don’t even realize it.
   With a minimal text, delightful characters, and a meaningful message, this picture book is a joy to share with young readers. Children and their grownups will laugh out loud when they see, at the end of the story, what the treasure map really is. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share