Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, December 23, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and fifty-seven

Christmas is only two days away, and children all over the world are doing their best to stay in Father Christmas' good graces. For ten years now, my daughter and I have shared a tradition. We read a Christmas/seasonal title every day from the 1st to the 24th of December. One of Elise's favorite holiday books is the one I have reviewed below.



Carl's ChristmasCarl’s Christmas
Alexandra Day
Picture Book (Series)
For ages 4 to 7
Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1990, 978-0374311148
   It is Christmas Eve, and Carl’s owners are going out for the evening. Before they leave the house, they tell Carl the dog to “Take good care of the baby, Carl.” Carl is a very honorable dog, so he goes upstairs to get the baby, and then the two friends set about celebrating the season together.
   First Carl and the baby decorate a potted plant with wrapping paper, ribbons, and other items that they find. Carl helps the baby put on a warm little suit and hat, and then they go outside to explore.
   In town, they win a beautiful Christmas basket when they are the 1,000th customer at the toy store. Knowing that this is the season to give, the baby and Carl give the basket to a street corner Santa who is collecting for “the Needy.”
   The friends listen to some carolers sing, and then they head home. After all, soon they are going to have a very special visitor.
   Though there are very few words in this book, Alexandra Day manages to capture the essence of Christmas with her wonderful Carl the dog title. Young children will be delighted to see that Carl and the baby’s late night visitor has gifts for everyone, including a duo of mice who come to warm themselves in front of the crackling fire.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share