Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, December 19, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and fifty-three


Life is full of challenges, some of which are scary. Children often don't quite know how to deal with these challenges. They don't realize that they have sources of courage deep inside that they can call upon at such times. Today's book will help children (and adults too) to realize that the tools they need to cope with life's challenges are always with them.

Teaspoon of Courage for Kids: A Little Book of EncouragementA teaspoon of courage for kids: A Little Book of Encouragement for Whenever You Need It
Bradley Trevor Greive
Picture Book
For ages 7 and up
Andrews McMeel, 2007, 978-0-7407-6949-8
   For much of the time, most children are content with their lives. They share happy moments with their families and friends, and life is enjoyable. Inevitably though, there are those times when “everyone runs smack up against a brick wall.” These times are hard, and often we don’t know what to do, or how to cope. This book was written especially for children to help them deal with these moments when they get “stuck,” confused, scared, or at a loss.
   The author does not offer children pages and pages of advice. Instead, he combines small sections of text with photos of animals. The pairings are perfect in every instance. For example, when he talks about how there are times when “you can’t figure out what is going on” he gives us a picture of a grasshopper scratching its head. When he talks to us about having courage to deal with life’s trials and tribulations, he says that “courage makes it possible for little guys to stand up to big guys” and we look at a picture of a mouse looking up at a cat. The mouse is not cowed at all. Instead, it is standing up on its hind legs showing to the world that it is small in stature only. It is big in heart.
   Throughout the book, poignancy, wisdom, and humor combine to give children a title that will show them that they have the courage to face life’s challenges, even if they think that they don’t.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share