Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, December 26, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and sixty


When people are big and tough looking, and when they give the impression that they are a law unto themselves, most of us give them a wide berth. We never imagine that they, just like everyone else, can feel lonely. We never imagine that they might need a friend.

Today's picture book explores the idea that everyone needs a friend, even if they look scary and seem grumpy or mean.

The Dearest Little Mouse in the WorldThe dearest Little Mouse in the world
Antonie Schneider
Illustrated by Quentin Greban
Translated by J. Alison James
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
NorthSouth, 2004, 978-0735818910
   Every day, Fay the little mouse girl walks to and from school with her friends, and every day she ignores the big black dog who barks “Hello!” to her. Fay is so busy chatting with her friends, that she simply doesn’t notice the dog.
   Then one day Fay walks home on her own, and the big, black dog growls and snarls are her, demanding that she “SAY HELLO!” Not surprisingly, little Fay is frightened by this, and she runs home. Fay is in such a state that she refuses to eat any bacon, cheese, chocolate pudding, or grapes. Fay’s behavior greatly worries her mother and father, who ask their daughter to tell them what is wrong.
   Fay tells her parents about how the big, black dog growled and snarled at her, and she is amazed when they explain that the dog is not a bad dog. In fact, he is trying to be friends.
   In this delightfully sweet picture book, readers will meet a little mouse who learns that friends come in all shapes and sizes. Even individuals who are big and scary looking need someone to notice them, someone to be their friend. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share