Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

A letter from Lynelle Woolley, the creator of Flower Girl World

The season for weddings is not far off, and for many girls the next few months will be spent being fitted for dresses and helping brides to get ready for the big day. Being a flower girl is such a special experience that Lynelle Woolley decided to create a series that would allow all girls to take part in a wedding. Here is a letter from Lynelle. 

Hello Marya and Friends,

Welcome to my world – Flower Girl World! I have to say that it’s such a happy place to be.

Like many mothers who are writers, my inspiration for the Flower Girl World book series was my daughter. During her pre-school years, she was asked to be in three different weddings. By the third marriage, we both were pros! Each experience was so different (beach wedding in Hawaii, garden wedding in Napa Valley, non-denominational church wedding in Salt Lake City), yet one thing remained constant: the exuberance and pride my daughter felt before, during, and after the events.

So that got this flower girl mom thinking…wouldn’t it be great to spread that joy to all girls in the flower girl age range, whether they are in a wedding or not?

I started by telling my daughter some flower girl stories set at different types of weddings… and now it’s grown into a picture book, chapter book and plans for more! For me, it was important that the stories feature positive themes like acceptance and friendship, and characters of diverse backgrounds and talents.

Let me introduce you to my flower girl friends:
 
Willow – the fashion model flower girl from New York, NY
Poppy – the cowgirl flower girl from Big Sky, MT
Camellia – the ballerina flower girl from Chicago, IL
Rosie – the detective flower girl from Washington D.C.
Iris – the arts and crafts flower girl from Philadelphia, PA
Starr – the performer flower girl from San Antonio, TX

All the girls make an appearance in the first two books.  

In the picture book, Camellia the Fabulous Flower Girl, Cami believes she’s an expert flower girl. But when she meets fellow attendants Willow and Poppy (who have cool moves of their own), Cami discovers how much fun sharing the aisle – and the spotlight – can be.

In the chapter book, Rosie and the Wedding Day Rescue, Rosie, Iris, and Starr must use their special talents to save a wedding from total disaster!

Presently, I am working on the next two books in the chapter series, Iris and the Aloha Adventure and Starr and the High Seas Wedding Drama and have 16 more stories on the way (a few more characters too)! Beyond the books, our website, www.FlowerGirlWorld.com, is the destination for everything flower girl, including fun activities for girls.

Writing about flower girls is such a joyous way to spend my day. Thank you for letting me share my experience with you.

Lynelle Woolley

No comments:

Bookmark and Share