Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Picture book Monday - A review of A Jazz Age Josephine

February is Black History month, and in honor of this celebration (which is what it is by the way), I have reviewed a book about a remarkable African-American woman who dared to defy convention, and who dared to thumb her nose at racism. She was a beautiful and talented woman who wanted the world to see that she was a beautiful and talented woman. 

Jonah Winter
Illustrated by Marjorie Priceman
Historical Fiction Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Simon and Shuster, 2012, 978-1-4169-6123-9
   Josephine Baker was born in St. Louis in 1906 and she, like so many other African Americans at that time, had a very hard life. She lived in a shack, had very little to eat, and her prospects for the future were quite grim. There was one person though who felt that little Josephine would one day be “a princess.”
Jazz Age Josephine   Josephine’s life was so full of misery that the only way she felt that she could get through it was by acting the fool. She made funny faces and crossed her eyes, and then she started to dance. It did not take long before people began to realize that Josephine was a gifted dancer.
   After the African American part of town was set alight by “white folks,” Josephine left St. Louis and she traveled around the country with an outdoor traveling show. She finally ended up in New York City where she auditioned for a show. At first, she was told to “Beat it,” but then the director agreed to let her dance in the chorus line. She also performed wearing a clown costume and black makeup on her face. The role was so insulting that Josephine decided to leave the United States, and she sailed for France hoping to find a place where people would accept and appreciate her.
   Based on the real story of the extraordinary Josephine Baker, this picture book combines bright colors and a rhyming bouncing text to give readers a real feel for what the performer’s life was like. Readers will be amazed to see how the poor little girl grew up to become one of the most famous performers of her time, and how she did so in spite of the racism that was commonplace.
   At the back of the book the author provides his readers with further information about Josephine Baker’s life and career.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share