Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Poetry Friday - A review of The Pop-Up Dinosaurs Galore!

When my daughter was little, she decided one day that she loved dinosaurs. Most of the little boys at her school were dinosaur mad, and they ran around holding their plastic dinos and roaring loudly. It annoyed my daughter that they thought that girls had no business being interested in dinosaurs. She and I decided that something needed to be done. We read some books about dinosaurs together, and the next day she went to school armed with all kinds of 'cool' dinosaur facts. After that day, the boys never dared to tell my daughter that she could not play dinosaurs, and she ran around with them roaring her head off.

For today's poetry title, I have a book that will excite little children who have a fascination for T. Rex, Brontosaurs, Pteradons, and other dinosaurs. It in, funny poems are combined with amusing artwork and novelty features such as pop-ups. What more could a young dino fan ask for.

The Pop-Up Dinosaurs Galore!
Giles Andreae
David Wojtowycz
Novelty Poetry Book
For ages 3 to 6
Tiger Tales, 2008, 1589258371
We are going to visit a swampland where dinosaurs of all kinds live. So get ready for a wonderful adventure.
   First of all let me introduce you to Tyrannosaurus Rex. This large meat-eating dinosaur will be "very pleased to meet you," but beware, because his main interest probably is "to EAT YOU!"
   Next we are going to soar up into the skies where the Pteranodons fly. These large flying creatures have large crests on their head that help them glide. Take a look too at the dinosaur that is swimming in the ocean beneath them.
   This charming pop-up book is sure to delight young dinosaur lovers. Most of the double page spreads look at one particular kind of dinosaur. On each one, young readers get to read a bouncy and often funny poem, pull the tabs, admire the pop-ups, and look at the illustrations. They might notice that one little pink dinosaur has a habit of turning up on all the pages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share