Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Poetry Friday - A review of Twosomes: Love poems from the animal kingdom

In a few days time it will be Valentine's Day. Though I know some people consider this to be a 'holiday' that was manufactured by card companies, I happen to enjoy Valentine's Day. I like to do something special for my family members, and it is always fun to see how excited by daughter gets, and to look over all the Valentines she comes home with.

In honor of this festive day, I have a selection of love poems that are fabulously silly and amusing. If you have ever wondered what a love lorn porcupine would say to his sweetie, then you need to read this book. The answer lies within.

Marilyn Singer
Illustrated by Lee Wildish
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 6 to 8
Random House, 2011, 978-0-375-86710-1
   We humans celebrate Valentines Day by telling, and showing, the people we love how special they are. We give people cards, boxes of candy, flowers, balloons, teddy bears, and jewelry. Some of us even write poems to declare our love, admiration, and devotion. Of course, such declarations are not limited to Valentine’s Day. Love poems are sent via email, and in envelopes, every day of the year.
   Imagine if you can what a love poem written by a dog would be like. What would a dog say to his beloved? Perhaps he would tell her how “delish” she smells and invite her to “share my water dish.” A porcupine might write to his love telling her about how he hugged a cactus to get “some practice.”
   With clever punnish word play, Marilyn Singer gives her readers a wonderfully silly and funny collection of poems to share on Valentine’s Day, or on any other day for that matter.
   To compliment the fifteen two-liner rhymes, Lee Wildish has created comical pictures that will tickle funny bones, and give readers something to chuckle over.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share