Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Picture Book Monday - Gem

Many of us like to imagine what it would be like to be a wild animal. How easy life would be if we didn't have to worry about homework, sports practices in the snow, and other similarly unpleasant things. The truth is that being a wild animal is no picnic in the park. Meet Gem, a toad who faces many dangers as he moves from place to place.

Holly Hobbie
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Little Brown, 2012, 978-0-316-20334-0
   Gram is experiencing a particularly cold winter, and while the snow piles up around her house, and the north wind howls, she starts to think of spring. She remembers the day when her granddaughter Hope found a toad, “a small wonder,” in the garden. Gram decides to create a book about the journey made by  the toad, who was called Gem.
   On a warm spring day Gem pushed his way out of the ground and he set off to explore. He crossed the wide expanse of a road and he almost got flattened by a passing car, which was a terrifying experience.
   Up a dirt road he hopped until he came to a pond, where he set about singing his spring song. His melody attracted the attention of a pretty little toad lady, and it wasn’t long before Gem was surrounded by many little toad children. One would think that this would be more than enough of an adventure for a toad, by Gem’s journey was not yet over.
   In this truly beautiful picture book, two letters serve as a frame for a wordless illustrated tale. We share in a toad’s adventures as he copes with cars, birds of prey, and other dangers. It is thrilling to see the world from the toad’s point of view, and we come to appreciate was a gem he is.
   At the back of the book Holly Hobbie provides readers with some facts about toads.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share