Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Poetry Friday - A review of Out of this world

Many children are fascinated by space, eagerly devouring books about stars, planets, and space exploration. In today's poetry title, space fans will find wonderful poems that take them off our home planet and out into the unknown. The poems are accompanied by sections of interesting and informative text.

Amy E. Sklansky
Illustrated by Stacey Schuett
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 6 to 9
Random House, 2012, 978-0-375-86459-9
For many people, space is an exciting and intriguing place, a place full of mysteries and unknowns. Though we have explored much of our own planet, we humans have not ventured far out into space yet. Getting there is part of the problem, and we have had to invent very specialized vehicles to get us off Earth’s surface and out into space, where there is no up and no down, and no gravity. Distances are so enormous, that we still haven’t figured out how to traverse them in a timely manner.
   In this delightful title the author pairs her clever poems with sections of factual text to give readers a unique reading experience. She explores what zero gravity might feel like, and what the Earth looks like from space, a colored “marble” hanging in the blackness. We find out what three famous astronauts took with them when they were “Packing for the moon,” and we are challenged to think about what we would take with us if we were going to make that journey. Would you take lucky charms with you like Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins did?
   Later in the book, we find out about satellites, which make life easier for us by “making phone calls / loud and clear” and by helping us “surf the Web / with ease.” If you want to know about meteors, comets, stars, the sun, the moon, and the planets then you are in luck because all of these things and more are explored in this title.
   Throughout this clever book, the poems and factual sections of text are paired with wonderful illustrations that capture the beauty and wonder of space.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share