Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of Gator

Being alone and in a situation where you are not touched by the warmth of other people's happiness can be dreadful. Your life feels very empty, and seems to lack meaning. In today's picture book you are going to meet a carousel alligator who, when his carousel falls out of favor, goes off looking for new friends and the sound of children's laughter. He is, without a doubt, one of my heroes.

Randy Cecil
Picture Book
For ages 6 to 8
Candlewick Press, 2007, 978-0-7636-2952-6
   Gator is a carousel animal, and there is nothing that he likes more than hearing the laughter of the children who are riding the carousel. For years, children line up to have a turn on the carousel, and Gator and his friend Duck are always busy. Then, over time, fewer and fewer children come to the carousel for rides. Finally, one day, the carousel lights are turned off, the music stops playing, and Gator is forgotten.
   For a while Gator sleeps, but then he wakes up and he decides that he should leave the park and go out into the world. Gator walks through a scary dark forest, he sees some real ducks and finds out that they can fly. Then he comes to a place where people are laughing and clearly enjoying themselves. Gator dares to hope that he has found “some sort of amusement park,” and he goes to investigate. Perhaps this place can be his new home.
   When we first meet Gator, he does not give us the impression that he is all that special. Then he dares to leave the only home he has ever known to find a new life for himself. This is a truly brave thing to do, and children will see that heroes come in all shapes and sizes. Gator head out into the unknown to look for a new future for himself, and he does something wonderful in the process.
   This a tale that has a charming main character, beautiful illustrations, and a story that will resonate with readers of all kinds. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share