Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Ninety-Five

Ollie & MoonEvery week I receive dozens of packages and boxes of books, and my daughter and I have a terrific time opening everything and exclaiming over the books I have been sent. Recently I got a big box from Random House, and one of the books in the box was today's picture book title. The moment I saw the cover I was intrigued. It shows a picture of the Eiffel Tower (I love Paris), and two cartoon cats riding a bicycle ( I love cats and cartoons.) When I read Ollie and Moon yesterday I found out that it is just as good on the inside as it is on the outside. What a wonderful way to start a new week.

Photographs by Sandra Kress
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Random House, 2011, 978-0-375-86698-2
   Ollie and Moon are a pair of cats who live in Paris and they are the best of friends. Ollie loves to surprise Moon, and Moon loves Ollie’s surprises. Actually, what Moon really enjoys is “trying to guess” what Ollie’s surprises are.
   One day Ollie arrives at Moon’s house and he buzzes his friend’s intercom. Ollie tells Moon that he has a surprise for her. Of course, Moon is delighted to hear this, and soon the two friends are walking through the streets of Paris so that Ollie can show Moon his surprise.
   On the way, Ollie gets hungry, so the friends stop at a cheese shop (there are lots of cheese shops in Paris) and Ollie gets some Brie to snack on. Ollie tells Moon that her surprise is round, just like the Brie. In the Metro (this is what they call the subway in Paris) Ollie does some funky dance moves for his friend and he tells her that his surprise is musical. Now Moon knows that her surprise is round and it is musical. What other hints is Ollie going to give Moon as they travel around Paris? When is he going to tell her what her surprise is?
   In this unique and utterly charming picture book, young readers will get to meet a pair of cats who are the best of friends. Ollie goes out of his way to give his friend Moon a surprise that she will never forget.
   Using photos of Paris that are overlaid with comic style illustrations, Diane Kredensor gives her readers a wonderful adventure that will keep them guessing. In addition, young readers will get to enjoy a bookish mini tour of Paris. Ahhh, c’est magnifique!  

No comments:

Bookmark and Share