Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, April 11, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and one

Last year I reviewed a fantastic wordless book called The Chicken Thief., which was illustrated by Beatrice Rodriguez. Not surprisingly the book has been lauded by pundits in the children's book world, and it is much loved by countless children and their families. Today I have reviewed a new book featuring the fox and the hen that we met in The Chicken Thief, and I am delighted to say that it is a book that readers of all ages will enjoy.


Beatrice Rodriguez
Wordless Picture Book
For ages 4 and up
Enchanted Lion, 2011, 978-1-59270-109-4
   Crab, Fox, and Hen are living together very happily until one day when Fox discovers that the refrigerator is empty. Someone is going to have to get some food. Leaving Fox to tend her precious egg, Hen goes fishing, and Crab goes along to help. It isn’t long before Hen catches a very large fish indeed, but she does not get to enjoy her success for long because a huge bird swoops down and snatches up her catch, which is still attached to Hen’s fishing line.
   Hen may be a lot smaller than the enormous bird that stole her fish, but she is also very determined. Her family needs food and she is not going to let the big bird steal her fish. Grimly Hen hangs on to her fishing pole as she is dragged across the sea and then into the sky. Little does she know that her adventure is only just beginning.
   This is the second wordless book that Beatrice Rodriguez has created featuring Fox and Hen. Young readers will quickly fall in love with brave and stubborn Hen who never gives up. The ending to the story adds another twist to the tale, because when Hen gets home she discovers that something has happened to her egg in her absence.
   Readers of all ages are sure to love this clever, expressive, and thoroughly enjoyable story. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share