Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and fifteen

Last summer my family and I went to Amsterdam. My daughter was very surprised to see that Miffy, a children's book character that she is very fond of, was very popular there, until she realized that the little white rabbit was created by a Dutch author. In Dutch, Miffy is called Nijintje, which I must confess is a word I have a hard time pronouncing. I enjoyed looking at all the Miffy books (which I couldn't read of course) and the Miffy merchandise. In fact I have a Dutch Miffy sitting on a shelf in my office.

For today's picture book I have a Miffy title in which Miffy discovers that anyone can create art. You don't have to a famous or an adult to create a piece of art. In addition, the little rabbit learns how rewarding the creative process is.

Dick Bruna
Picture Book
For ages 2 to 4
Abrams, 2007, 978-1-85437-823-1
   One day Miffy, the little white rabbit, goes to the art gallery to look at the paintings and the other works of art. On her way home, Miffy thinks about the things she has seen, and when she gets to her house, Miffy gets out some crayons and she starts to draw.
   Happily, Miffy creates pictures, exploring ideas with her colors. Her pictures remind her of things and places, and they give her a great feeling of satisfaction.
   In this charming Miffy title, the author uses simple concepts and memorable art to help children see that anyone can create art. He shows children that drawing or painting or sculpting helps us to explore our world in new ways, and connects us with memories and emotions.
   This is one in a series of books about Miffy. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share