Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book One hundred and two

Today's book is about a fellow called Small Saul who dreams of having a job that he really isn't suited for in the least. His physique and his temperament really don't mesh wish his chosen lifestyle, but he refuses to give up. I found Small Saul charming, and I think young pirate fans will thoroughly enjoy this book.

Small SaulSmall Saul
Ashley Spires
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Kids Can Press, 2011, 978-1-55453-503-3
   More than anything Small Saul wants to have “a life at sea.” Unfortunately, Small Saul is too small to become a sailor in the Navy, but he is able to get into Pirate College. Saul really isn’t what you would call a “natural pirate.” He is good at swabbing the deck, navigation, and singing sea shanties, but when it comes to looting and other acts of violence, he doesn’t do so well.
   Despite his inclination for the gentler things in life, Saul manages to get his Pirate Diploma, and finally he is taken on by the crew of The Rusty Squid. It soon becomes clear that Saul is going to have to work very hard to prove that he is capable of being a pirate. Saul knows that pirates care about their ship, being tough, and finding treasure. He really tries to focus on these things, but he cannot seem to meet piratical standards. In fact, poor Saul fails so miserably that the captain of the ship pushes Saul overboard. Is this the end of Saul’s pirate career?
   Everyone who has ever struggled with ‘fitting in’ will fall in love with Saul the pirate. He is small and rather puny, he likes to decorate and bake, and he cannot utter a suitably piratical “ARRRRRR’ to save his life. Despite all these setbacks, Saul doesn’t quit, and he tries to find his own very unique pirate mojo.
   With a loveable main character, wonderful touches of humor, and a meaningful message, this is a picture book that readers of all ages will appreciate and enjoy.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share