Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, April 22, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twelve

For today's picture book I have another Easter title. I used to love Easter egg hunts when I was a child, so I was happy to get this book in the mail. The story is both amusing and sweet, and the illustrations are quite lovely. 

Pirkko Vainio
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
North South, 2011, 978-0-7358-2304-4
   Every year the grandmother who lives in the house hides Easter eggs in her garden for her grandchildren. One spring day Harry the squirrel sees the grandmother coming out of her house carrying a basket of eggs and he knows that it is Easter again. Harry enjoys following her around, watching to see where she places the beautifully decorated eggs.
   After the grandmother goes back indoors, Harry sees that he is not the only one who admires the pretty eggs. Jack the jackdaw also likes the eggs, and to Harry’s horror, the bird steals the eggs. Harry follows Jack to his nest and he sees that Jack has put every single Easter egg into his nest. Jack explains that he wants to have eggs in his nest like all the other birds. Though Harry is sympathetic, he tells Jack that he has to return the eggs to their hiding places. Will they have enough time to get the eggs hidden in the right places before the children arrive?
   With beautiful illustrations throughout, colorful characters, and a charming story, this picture book is sure to be a firm favorite with children who like Easter egg hunts of their own.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share