Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Poetry Friday - A review of Falling Down the Page

For me, lists are tools that save me from forgetting to do all the things that I have to do. Were it not for lists, my life would be in a perpetual state of chaos. It has never occurred to me that lists can actually be creative things, even beautiful ones; that lists can be turned into poems that are a joy to read. 

When you read today's poetry title, you will see for yourself that lists really can be turned into wonderful poems. I hope you enjoy the poems in this book as much as I did. 

Edited by Georgia Heard
Poetry
For ages 7 to 10
Roaring Brook Press, 2009, 978-1-59643-220-8
   For many of us, lists help us to keep our busy lives organized. Without a list we don’t remember what to buy at the grocery store, or who to invite to a party. Typically, lists are not creative things, but poets have been using the list format for a long time to explore their fondness for words in new ways. For this collection, some wonderful poets (including Jane Yolen and J. Patrick Lewis) have written thirty-two list poems that show to great effect “the wide variety of the list form.” The poems are presented in such as way that they give the reader a picture of the school year.
   This journey begins with Eileen Spinelli’s poem “Good-byes,” in which she says goodbye to all those wonderful summer vacation things that make summer special and memorable. With school starting soon, we have to say goodbye to “splashing waves,” “matinees,” and “swooping gulls.”
   Then there are all the things that are “On the menu for school today,” a list of school doings that will surely be familiar to many. Here are the planets that need to be labeled, the bells that need to be shaken, and seeds that need to be planted, and the words that need to be spelled.
   Later still we find a list of all the places where one can read a book, and what a list it is too! It may seem ridiculously long at first, but as you read, you come to appreciate that every single one of these places is a perfect book reading place.
   Don’t forget that school days would not be complete without a visit to the box where all the lost and found items are kept. Here you will find the things that someone somewhere “misses,” those little things that somehow get forgotten for a while. Here is the “poodle pin,” “a pair of gloves,” and even “One yellow boot.” Where is the other boot we wonder.
   This delightful collection of poems will forever change the readers’ opinion of lists. It is true that shopping lists are usually boring, but clearly poem lists are quite the opposite. Young (and not so young) readers might even inspired to try writing a list poem of their own. If they do, there is a good chance that they will be surprised by the journey that they take as they play with words, mixing them up, saying them out aloud, and trying them out for size.

1 comment:

Georgia Heard said...

Thank you Marya for your wonderful review of my book Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems!
Georgia Heard

Bookmark and Share