Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and nineteen

I love reviewing books that encourage adults to talk to their children about the book that they are reading. Today's book has a philosophical bent, and it puts forward ideas that children will enjoy discussing with each other, and with their adults. The book gives readers a gift that extends beyond its pages, one that they can think about and enjoy as they go about their day.

Mary Lyn Ray
Illustrated by Marla Frazee
Picture Book
For ages 5 and up
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-1-4424-2249-0
   Seeing the first star in the sky is an indication that night is on its way. The one star is soon joined by other stars, and their presence makes the night feel less dark and frightening. It would be grand if you could collect a star or two, but as you know, this just isn’t possible.
   There are other stars that you can collect and treasure though. You can draw a star on some gold or silver paper, cut it out, and then put it in your pocket. It will be there whenever you need it, for example if you want to be a sheriff, or if you need a magic wand. If you have two stars, you can give one away, which could really help someone if they “don’t feel shiny” on that particular day.
  The good news is that if you ever lose your star, there are many stars in the world around you to comfort you. There are little green stars in moss, and strawberry flowers are star-shaped, as are the yellow flowers on pumpkin vines. Don’t forget that snowflakes are full of stars too. Look around and you will see these stars and many more, and don’t forget that every night, stars are there to delight you, even when you can’t see them.
   In this delightful book, Mary Lyn Ray’s lyrical text is beautifully paired with Marla Frazee’s memorable illustrations. Young readers will be tickled by the thought provoking ideas that flow off the pages, and they will enjoy thinking and talking about the stars in their lives. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share