Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, November 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and eighteen

I know that some might accuse me of being biased here, but I really do think that mothers are not properly understood (or appreciated thank you very much). I assure you that I am not saying this as a mother, but as an observer. There are all these books out there about how to be a better parent, but there are none about how to be a child who understands how to care for a mother. Thankfully, Doreen Cronin has seen this deficiency, and she has done something about it. 

Doreen Cronin
Illustrated by Laura Cornell
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-1-4169-6150-5
As everyone knows, mothers are “the most advanced human models on the planet.” However, their incredible ability to do so many things so well does not mean that they don’t need care. It is important that everyone should know what kind of “necessary maintenance and care” mothers need “for optimal performance.” This is a manual to teach you how to do this.
   The manual begins by giving readers an important “Historical Overview” of moms. We must not forget that moms have been around a very long time, and that they need to be treated with due respect. The text then goes on to explain that a well-maintained and well-rested mom is a very rare thing to see. Mostly moms show the signs of “ordinary wear and tear.” You must be vigilant and make sure that your mom’s condition does not deteriorate.
   Of course, it is easy to say this, but how is it to be done? Fear not, because this manual will explain what a mom needs for her daily care and maintenance. Sleep and proper nutrition are vital, as is regular exercise, and a source of fresh water. It is also recommended that all moms should have regular grooming sessions.
   Just in case you encounter a problem with your mom, there is a troubleshooting section in this manual that might be of use to you. Though moms are “the most adaptable human models on the planet,” they do occasionally malfunction, and it is important that you know what to do should this happen.
   This is one of those rare books that will resonate with parents (particularly mothers) as much as it will with children. It is laugh-out-loud funny, and the manual style presentation and language is priceless. Wonderful illustrations and tongue-in-cheek humor throughout the book make this a title that is truly memorable. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share