Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, November 18, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and twenty-two

For some people being cool is one of those things that becomes very important. They want to impress the people around them, sometimes they even want to intimidate them so that they can feel big and strong. In today's picture book you will meet just such a character, a monster who wants to appear tough and scary, but who learns that honesty and friendship are more important than having an imagine that is false and worthless. 

Lee Weatherly
Illustrated by Algy Craig Hall
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Boxer Books, 2009, 978-1-906250-40-9
   There once was a monster who was determined that everyone should know that he was “the scariest monster in the world.” With his “wild and weird” fur, his giant club, his green teeth, and his ferocious manner, the monster really was scary, and he enjoyed frightening the animals in the forest.
   Then one day the monster developed a problem. He got the hiccups, and he could not get them to go away. He did everything he could, but nothing he tried got rid of the hiccups and so, feeling utterly miserable – and very hiccupy – he sat down on the ground and began to cry.
   Though the monster had scared them countless times, the animals in the forest felt sorry for him, and they did their best to help him. They suggested that he drink water while he was the “wrong side up,” and that he hold his breath for as long as possible. Unfortunately neither of these tricks worked. There was only one thing left to do. The animals were going to have to scare the monster’s hiccups away, but how do you scare a monster?
   In this delightful picture book, children will meet a monster whose loud voice and stomping feet cover up the fact that he is not really that bad a fellow. In fact, when he is not worrying about having an image, he is quite pleasant to be around. With its meaningful message about friendship, and its delightfully expressive illustrations, this is a picture book that children are sure to enjoy.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share