Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and six

I once knew a little boy called George who was...well...he was horrid. George was spoiled rotten, and when he didn't get what he wanted, he threw a tantrum. The only time I ever saw George moderate his behavior was when he met another child who was just as horrid as he was. Faced with naughty little boy just like himself, George didn't know what to do. 

Today's picture books is about two naughty children who face a similar dilemma. How can you really enjoy being bad if you have competition?

Ellen Weiss
Illustrated by Jerry Smath
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Abrams, 2010, 978-0-8109-4066-6
   Lola is a shrew who lives with her large family in a cunning little home under a large tree. Though Lola is a very small shrew, she has an enormous temper. She is so bad-tempered in fact that her siblings stay away from her, and after a while everyone starts giving in to her demands because it is the easiest thing to do.
   One day Lola’s cousin Lester comes to visit and Lester is so rude and so obnoxious that even Lola is shocked. She gets so annoyed that she tells Lester off, and soon the two young shrews are screeching at each other. They fight about which beds they are going to sleep in, about who is the bigger “foo-face,” and numerous other things. In fact they fight so much that they miss meals and they don’t have any fun.
   In this funny picture book we meet two very badly behaved shrew children who learn an important lesson about learning to get along with others. Young readers will enjoy seeing how the two difficult shrews come to an agreement that seems to survive the test of time.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share