Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Poetry Friday - A review of The Robin Makes a Laughing Sound: A Birder’s Journal

Today's book is very special indeed because it not only contains poems, but it also contains wonderful illustrations, field notes about birds, and journal entries. The author beautifully combines many different elements to give readers a unique bookish experience.

Sallie Wolf
Poetry and Nonfiction
For ages 6 to 9
Charlesbridge, 2010, 978-1-58089-318-3
   When Sallie Wolf was in the seventh grade, her teacher taught the children in her class how to identify birds, study their behavior, and write down their observations. Ever since then Sallie has been bird watching, and in this book she invites us to share her interest in birds by taking a journey through the seasons, telling us about some of the birds that she sees.
   She begins with spring, giving us lists of some of the birds that she sees at this time of year. There is a painting of a crocus and a delightful poem about early crocuses and brown creepers who “circle up tree trunks.” We get to meet a robin who “makes a laughing sound” as it goes about making a nest. There are also notes about the birds she sees, as well as sketches and little watercolor paintings of birds, flowers, and a tree.
   In the summer there are seagulls who “hang out at the mall” and spend their time “fighting over French fries / and scraps of burgers.” Robins take a bath, cleaning their feathers vigorously until they are “Freshly groomed and tidy.”
   In this very personal and beautifully presented book, we take a journey through the year reading notes about birds, lists of birds, journal entries, and poems. There are delightful illustrations throughout, some of which are simple ink sketches, and others that are delicate watercolor paintings.
   At the beginning of the book, the author explains how she came to be interested in birds, and at the back of the book she tells us about her journaling journey, which she began when she was a child.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share